Wednesday, June 16, 2004

The Goldberg File is back!

Haven't had time to post for several days, as I'm really busy with a ton of things, among others the much-needed update to my website --it's almost ready, so hang on.

I'm glad to report that the Goldberg File on National Review Online is back, after a hiatus of two months or so. Jonah Goldberg is one of my favorite columnists, a clear-thinking Conservative who is able to mix deep and thought-provoking subjects with edge-cutting humor --if you're a Simpsons fan, you'll fall in love with him in a second.

Anyway, in his latest column he mentions something that I'd already read somewhere, but which is worth commenting on: A rare case of guilt-admission from the Liberal Media. I haven't watched CNN (The Communist News Network) for a long time, so I missed this interesting exchange between retired CNN anchor Bernard Shaw and Wolf Blitzer during their coverage of the Reagan funeral; it is a keeper:

SHAW: Can I say something that touches on a very sensitive issue?
BLITZER: Of course.
SHAW: The news media and how we failed to thoroughly cover and communicate the very essences we're talking about possessed by Ronald Reagan. What I've been reading and what I've been hearing I did not get during his two terms in office, or did I miss something?
BLITZER: I think you're on to something, Bernie.
SHAW: I think we failed our viewers, listeners, and readers to an appreciable extent. I can't quantify it, but I'll put it there. Because I certainly missed a lot.

Yes you did, Bernie! And worst of all, most of them still do, not only about Reagan, but Bush and the war on terror. Which I guess only goes to prove that history not only repeats itself, but more and more it looks like a bad spinoff of "Ground Hog Day".